Monday, August 2, 2010

This Life

I was looking at our fridge this morning and thinking how it seemed not so long ago that I had graduation announcements and engagement photos up and they have slowly turned into wedding invitations and now baby announcements. It's hard to believe that 2 years ago this May I was sitting in the sun waiting for Jon Anderson to call my name up so that I could shake the hand of the new appointed president of Biola and officially graduate. It seems like an even shorter amount of time ago that I was in high school playing soccer and taking AP art classes, two of my favorite things.

I miss the "hard" life of a high schooler or even college student. Looking back at those times it is funny to think that the things that were so horrible and "the end of the world" are so trivial now. They were nothing compared to getting a good job, or paying rent, or buying a house..etc. There are lots of things that I sometimes wish I had done differently. I should have become a nurse or gone to a less expensive school, or been more involved with art or this or that. But that is the benefit of the years. Most things, if not everything has a "better way" to be done. In the end it doesn't matter how it happened or when or with who, that's life. We make choices and we live with them. So just like everyone else I want to warn the me of my youth, "Don't do that, or stay away from her, or yes go there" but what fun would that be? As the clique phrase goes, "I wouldn't be the person I am today if not for the experiences I had." How true are those words.

I feel like I should be an old granny yelling out to the youth of today, "Don't waste you life. It's so short" while waving my cane with one hand and rubbing my aching back with the other.


Life passes us by so quickly.

2 comments:

  1. I feel this way all the time. I so often wish that I could go back and make different choices, but I know that it's pointless to sit and focus on that. But, I totally relate. And now, having a kid, I feel like time goes even faster. Des is going to be 1 in a little over a month. Where did that year go? Oh, how much time I spent wishing I was older when I was young.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously!! But a lot of times I also think if I had a choice would I want to re-live some of the good experiences and the embarrassing ones... And I'd have to say... I'm too embarrassed of the bad experiences to relive them. Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete