Sunday, June 20, 2010

To Write or Not to Write

Some people start blogs with themes or ideas they want to share. I started this blog with no clue what I really wanted to write about. I figured the more I wrote the more my goal would reveal itself to me, or I would end up with random un-related posts that would eventually make sense.

So far no such luck. I think my issue is that I do have a lot of ideas that I want to write about but as soon as I sit down to write my mind goes blank. My first thought usually is "what?". The truth is I fear blogging. I fear that I have nothing worth saying, or that no one is listening or that I'm a complete hypocrite, but worst of all I fear having bad grammar. The most common criticism I used to receive on papers in college was that I had used my tenses wrong. I had mix up past, present and future tenses.

Some times my mind just feels so ESL (english as a second language) that it is hard to get out what I really want to say. I probably spend a quarter of my time writing, another quarter of my time thinking and the other half of the time checking my grammar and occasionally I will still end up finding a mistake in a post after it has been posted! Damn it. That one sentence snuck in there.

I often I wish I had my own little English major room-mate at my beck and call to proof read for me like I did in college. Unfortunately, an art degree does nothing for the grammar.

2 comments:

  1. If it makes you feel better, I go through the same thing with each of my posts. I struggle about what to write, how to write it, and if I've made grammatical errors. And, I was an English writing major!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nem! I want to read and hear and all that!! :) Please keep writing - about anything and everything that you want to write about.

    As to grammar...I feel your pain. I sucked at English back in school and it has left deep scars within that prevent me from writing freely, unless I'm delirious with sleep or delirious with these crazy thoughts going thru my head that I need to get down somewhere, at which point I simply say goodbye to grammar.. So.. to hell with grammar!!!

    Write! Write, me little monk-ay!

    ps. I love how you said that your mind feels ESL sometimes. I totally know what you mean..

    ReplyDelete