Sunday, June 13, 2010

The Happiness Project


For my birthday I received the book "The Happiness Project." Although I had not heard of the book my first reaction to the title was "Oh great, is this one of those "be a better you" kind of books?" I have to admit I am not a big fan of self-help books. The idea of bettering yourself and it's about me me me, seems a little overwhelming and frankly, selfish. But honestly the past few months I have felt so discouraged and frustrated that even the title of the book made me think that I've got nothing to lose.

So on this quiet Sunday afternoon, with the sound of Oli sleeping peacefully in the background I decided to give this book a try and I have to say, IT'S AMAZING! I have read two chapters and I love love love it. The first paragraph alone hit me right where I was feeling it. I felt like, well besides the daughter watching tv line (since I have no daughter) the author, Gretchen Rubin, had felt and wrote about feelings I could relate to.

Basically this book is a project, kind of like "Julie and Julia", where the author's end goal is to be happier. Sounds easy enough, right? But it's amazing to find that most people do feel the same way she does. Well at least I do. It is one of those situations where you have so much in life and you are happy but you question, "Why am I not Happ-IER?" Gretchen goes on a 12 month systematic mission to tackle happiness and goals that can make her happier.

I just finished reading January and I'm already inspired to go on, to do my own happiness project. Gretchen's first month focused on boasting energy, whether that is exercise, getting tasks done or sleeping earlier. All little "chores" that combine to improve overall happiness. Off to the gym I go!

Thanks Davina! This book is awesome and exactly what I needed right now!

3 comments:

  1. Perfect book right now for you. Davina, you know her all too well. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the nice mention of my book, The Happiness Project, here! I very much appreciate those kind words and you shinning a spotlight on my work!! Thanks and best wishes,
    Gretchen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gretchen, Thank you for sharing your year of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete